Has anyone noticed that there isn’t a lot of discussion around the topic of “trees?” Can one imagine texting or talking on their cell phone with the conversation around trees? It’s not like it’s the hot topic of the day! Most conversations revolve around work, family or the latest gossip. Trees are such a “non-issue” to most people. Yet, has anyone noticed that we are losing our trees at a very rapid pace? Now, this may seem like a small issue to most people, but isn’t this part of the problem? In other words, isn’t it time that we begin to raise our level of awareness of important environmental issues that affect all of us? For instance, there is a lot of new development taking place all around my state. As the population increases, so does the need for housing, roads and services. And all of this new development has many negative consequences that come right along with it. To be specific, they are clear-cutting trees like it’s just the “normal” thing to do. After all, it does keep the economy moving. But the bigger question should be at what cost to our environment? Do the benefits outweigh the consequences? Is there any thought given to long-term negative consequences to our planet? In my opinion, I believe these are very valid issues that need to be considered before we reach the point of no return. It may sound alarming, but maybe that’s what is needed here. Moreover, do we really want to look at shopping centers, industrial parks and cookie cutter houses on a daily basis? Wouldn’t it be so much nicer to see and hear nature? Not only does nature provide aesthetic beauty, but also all of us are aware that trees help clean our air. They provide habitat for our wildlife. Isn’t quality of life so much more important than convenience? Do we really need another fast-food restaurant on every corner? If we continue to see the planet as the next generations problem to deal with then we are not being good stewards. Nonetheless, we need to first raise our level of awareness and acknowledge that we do have a problem. And if the issue of environmental destruction doesn’t sound like a topic that needs discussing then perhaps the problem lies in there. Isn’t it time that we turn our attention to issues that need our attention? These are issues that all of us should care about. When we become aware then we become empowered to bring about change.
Search My Blog
- Hope Amid the Destruction of Our Coral Reefs
- The Guiding Light
- Awareness Is Empowering…
- ‘Tis the Season to Give With Purpose
- Health Matters: An Evening With Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr.
- The Liebster Blog Award Honorees
- A Sweet Surprise: The Liebster Blog Award
- Inspired by the Harvest Moon
- Embracing Compassion for All Living Things
- City Plans to Kill Ducks: People Outraged
- Tour de Turtles: A Race for Survival
- Addicted to Our Cars: Can We Break the Habit?
- Heartbreak, Happiness, and a Hero
- America’s Wild Horses: Can We Save Them?
- Redefining Success: Connecting With What Matters Most
- The Ultimate Betrayal: Pets Pay With Their Lives
- Treeless America: The New Normal?
- Reality Check: Compassion Versus Cruelty
- Nature And Technology: Can The Two Coexist?
- Can’t We All Just Get Along?